The 2022-23 LA State Championship will be held on Sunday, January 22nd, 2023, at Jesuit High School in New Orleans and is open to 60 teams who are awarded advancement from a sanctioned LA FIRST LEGO League Qualifying Tournament.
DETAILS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP COMING SOON!
***** ARCHIVE *****
2021 LOUISIANA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
The LA FIRST LEGO League State Championship on Jan. 22nd will be REMOTE.
Due to the recent significant increases in Covid cases with an expected continued upward trend in transmission rates, there is concern for both the safety of our teams, coaches, and volunteers and for our ability to assure the level of staffing needed to run the tournament, which may be impacted from required quarantining from either positive tests or exposure. There is also a potential of loss of access to the facility if the host school determines that the risk is becoming too great for their own personnel.
The $35 fee is waived. Teams who have already sent checks will be contacted to determine if you wish us to tear up your check or send it back.
DATE: Judging Sessions will be Saturday, January 22nd, 2022, with submission of robot game videos by Thursday, January 20th, at 5pm.
LOCATION: REMOTE …Please refer to the information below for submitting Robot Game Videos and for Judging Sessions. The FIRST Remote Event Hub will NOT be used.
REGISTRATION: is now closed.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION :
- Teams must be registered nationally as an official FIRST LEGO League Challenge team and have an official FIRST Team Number to participate in any FIRST event.
- All participating team members MUST be listed on the FIRST Team Dashboard and their consent forms MUST be signed online. For details and instructions, see FIRST Youth Registration System Information. If you run into any issues, please check with LA FIRST LEGO League Partners – Annette Oertling or Michelle Sanchez
- ROBOT GAME VIDEOS – Teams are required to provide links to 3 Robot Game Videos for scoring by 5pm on Thursday, January 20th, with an additional, optional link to a Practice Video due by 5pm on Monday, January 17th. To see match scores (and practice scores) as the referees enter them, a link to view a Google Spreadsheet will be sent to teams.
- Practice Robot Game submission (optional) – If you choose to submit a practice video for referee review, please fill out the form here – PRACTICE VIDEO LINK by Tuesday, March 2nd 5pm to submit an optional Robot Game Practice Video link.
- 3 Robot Match Video link submission – Please fill out the form here – ROBOT MATCH VIDEO LINKS by 1pm on Friday, March 5th. Details for producing and posting your videos were sent to teams in an email.
- All scores will be posted on the Robot Scores Google Spreadsheet – ROBOT SCORES and RANKINGS .
- REFEREE COMMUNICATION FORM may be used by teams that have questions for the referees.
JUDGING SCHEDULE – Each team will participate in a 30 minute live-conferencing judging session where all 3 areas of competition will be judged – Project, Robot Design and Core Values. ZOOM links to the judging sessions will be provided to teams via email.
2020 LOUISIANA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
The 2020-21 LA State Championship will be held REMOTELY on Saturday, March 6th, and is open to 60 teams. All teams participating in the January (remote) tournaments are eligible for advancement to the Championship. And if a team has not registered for a local January tournament but completed their national registration by the November 30th deadline, they may still participate in the March 6th Championship.
There may be space in the LA FIRST LEGO League State Championship for teams registering nationally after November 30, but please check with LA FIRST LEGO League Partners – Annette Oertling or Michelle Sanchez
DATE: Saturday, March 6th, 2021 (Participation dates may expand to accommodate all of the teams in live remote judging sessions. )
LOCATION: REMOTE …Please refer to the information below for submitting Robot Game Videos and for Judging Sessions. The FIRST Remote Event Hub will NOT be used as a tournament platform, as we have been having issues accessing it.
REGISTRATION – is now open until Friday, February 12. Please register HERE.
TOURNAMENT FEES AND PAYMENT – Because we have generous donors, IF a team participates in a January tournament which requires a $20 tournament fee, they will NOT be charged an additional $20 fee for the Championship. Teams that only participate in the March 6th Championship will be responsible for the $20 registration fee, which must be made payable to FIRST Louisiana-Mississippi, Inc. and mailed to Barbara Pailet at 3421 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 805, Metairie, LA 70002 once you have registered. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO A TEAM PARTICIPATING IN THE TOURNAMENT. If your school is generating a check, please request it early, as a delay may jeopardize your teams’ eligibility to participate. (2020_InvoiceForFLLChampionship)
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION :
- All team members MUST be listed on the FIRST Team Dashboard and their consent forms MUST be signed online, as that is required by FIRST for participation in the Championship this year. For details and instructions, see FIRST Youth Registration System Information. If you run into any issues, please check with LA FIRST LEGO League Partners – Annette Oertling or Michelle Sanchez
- ROBOT GAME VIDEOS – Teams are required to provide links to 3 Robot Game Videos for scoring by 1pm on Friday, March 5th, with an additional, optional link to a Practice Video due by 5pm on Tuesday, March 2nd. To see match scores (and practice scores) as the referees enter them, a link to view a Google Spreadsheet will be sent to teams.
- Practice Robot Game submission (optional) – If you choose to submit a practice video for referee review, please fill out the form here – PRACTICE VIDEO LINK by Tuesday, March 2nd 5pm to submit an optional Robot Game Practice Video link. Scores will be entered on the Robot Scores Google Spreadsheet (link will be sent next week).
- 3 Robot Match Video link submission – Please fill out the form here – ROBOT MATCH VIDEO LINKS by 1pm on Friday, March 5th. Details for producing and posting your videos are included in the email below.
- ROBOT SCORES and RANKINGS (including optional practice rounds) will be posted. Teams can check for updates and team rankings at any time. If referees notice a problem with your video (illegal action, etc.), they will contact team coaches directly.
- REFEREE COMMUNICATION FORM may be used by teams that have questions for the referees.
- JUDGING SCHEDULE – Each team will participate in a 30 minute live-conferencing judging session where all 3 areas of competition will be judged – Project, Robot Design and Core Values. ZOOM links to the judging sessions will be provided to teams via email.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON ALL OF THE ABOVE WILL BE PROVIDED AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE.
2019 LOUISIANA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Congratulations to all teams that participated in the 2019 State Championship! Your hard work, enthusiasm and gracious professionalism were evident! You are our future!!!
The 2019-20 LA State Championship will be held on Saturday, January 18th, at Jesuit High School in New Orleans and is open to 60 teams who are awarded advancement from a sanctioned LA FIRST LEGO League Qualifying Tournament.
DATE: Saturday, January 18th, 2020, 8am-5:30pm
LOCATION: Jesuit High School,4133 Banks St, New Orleans, LA
REGISTRATION – Teams who advance from their Qualifying Tournament must register through their national team DASHBOARD, accessed by logging into their FIRST account at https://my.firstinspires.org. ALTERNATES MUST ALSO REGISTER, if they wish to be on the waitlist. The deadline to register is Friday, Dec. 20th. After that date, open spots will be given to alternates on the waitlist. Once registered, a team will receive a confirmation email from FIRST and will be posted below under FINAL TEAM LIST.
LAFLL State Championship Registration_HowToGuide (a helpful guide provided by Team # 31687 CyberGators – thanks!)
TOURNAMENT FEES AND PAYMENT – Once your team is nominated to advance to the Championship and you have registered, the $35 tournament fee must be made payable to FIRST Louisiana-Mississippi, Inc. and mailed to Barbara Pailet at 3421 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 805, Metairie, LA 70002. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO A TEAM PARTICIPATING IN THE TOURNAMENT. If your school is generating a check, please request it early, as a delay may jeopardize your teams’ eligibility to participate. (2019_InvoiceForFLLChampionship)
2019_TOURNAMENT_RULES_AND_PROCEDURES – very important information for participation in the event, including a note regarding available AV equipment in the project judging rooms, if needed.
CHECK-IN INSTRUCTIONS – Upon arrival, one coach should go to the check-in table located in the center of the pit area (noted on the map), where they will turn in their team roster downloaded from their FIRST team dashboard and a Team Information Sheet. They will be given a wristband sheet to bring to pit admin to receive their wristbands needed for team members and coaches to participate in the event, along with wristbands for spectators accompanying their teams. Teams may proceed directly to their pit table. Pit numbers are identified on the Team_Schedule below and on the CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM LIST
SCHEDULES AND MAPS –
2019_Team_Judging (judging rounds)
2019_Team_RobotRounds (robot challenge matches)
2019_Team_Schedule (individual team schedules for the day with pit table numbers)
The judging spectator policy is that any person associated with a team may go into the Project judging room as a spectator (parents, guests, etc.) as long as there is room and it does not interfere with the judging, but only 1 adult (typically the choice is a coach) is allowed in the Robot Design and Core Values judging rooms. Videotaping is allowed as long as it does not interfere with the judging. And as a tip, coaches should instruct their guests in the Project judging room to not interact with the judges, as it could be interpreted as interference.
PLEASE only give material to the judges that you do not expect to get back. Attempts in the past to keep track of all of the materials provided by 60 teams in 15 different judging rooms have been unsuccessful, with a number of items being lost. Your team may bring a variety of supporting materials into the judging rooms (Engineering Notebooks, binders, pictures, etc.), but give only copies of anything you want the judges to keep (eg. a picture of your binder or Engineering Notebook, etc., rather than the item itself), as nothing will be returned to teams. The judges appreciate your understanding of the effort it would take to reunite 60 teams with their materials.
Robot Design Judging Room set-up – There will be a field set available in the robot design judging room to allow demonstration of your team robot. It will be on the floor with 2×4” borders. This differs from the competition field set borders, which are 2×3” borders. Both are approved by FIRST.
Jesuit Maps 2020 :
The map shows VOLUNTEER PARKING in the school yard, but teams can access the school yard after 7:45am for drop off and/or limited parking in remaining spots that have not been used by volunteers. Please note there will potentially be construction on Banks Street between Carrollton and Solomon Streets preventing both vehicle and pedestrian access to that portion of the street. All participants are asked to cross Banks at Carrollton Avenue. And due to this construction, we may not be able to access Banks (the parking lot) from Carrollton. It is recommended that you come up Banks from one of the streets off of Canal north of Carrollton – such as S. Hennessey. Then turn on Banks toward Carrollton and turn left at the parking lot (ignoring the no left turn sign – only if construction is present!). ConstructionDropOffMap Additionally, please note that in the school building, men’s and women’s bathrooms for our use are on the first floor ONLY. There are also bathrooms in the gym.
FOOD AND CONCESSIONS – Jesuit Blue Jay Cafe MENU 2020
Breakfast, lunch and concessions are available onsite at Jesuit in their cafeteria – see menu above. This year, a lunch order form can be pre-filled (Order Form-pdf or Order Form-Excel) and will be available at the check-in table. To pre-order food from the Jesuit Blue Jay Café, you would bring your completed form to the Blue Jay Café by 9:30am along with payment for the total order. This allows faster service at lunch time, since there will be a separate line to pick up bulk orders that have already been paid for. Another change from last year is the offering of red beans and rice in lieu of fried catfish, which is faster to plate and serve.
And please adhere to Jesuit’s request that …. No food or beverages will be permitted inside the gym or in the main building, except for the cafeteria and Commons Room (pit area). Food may NOT be brought into the classrooms used for judging. Food sold elsewhere is allowed outside, but may not be brought into the building. This includes ice chests. Please help us honor their requests so they will invite us back!!!
CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM LIST – shows official list of teams that have registered and have been accepted into the LA FIRST LEGO League State Championship. Also shows teams that were awarded alternate spots and have registered to be on the waitlist.
HOTEL INFORMATION – New Orleans has hundreds of hotels at a variety of prices and locations. A good way to search is on Trip Advisor, which provides hotels by area and price. There are a few bed and breakfast lodging options close to Jesuit High School, but no national hotel chains. A group of well know hotels is 10 min. away at the intersection of I-10 and Causeway Blvd in Metairie, which include the 5 below at the current rate for Jan. 17th, 2020. Jesuit High School is also just 15 min away from the French Quarter, where there are many hotels.
Sheraton Metairie-New Orleans Hotel $152
Ramada by Wyndham Metairie $115
Comfort Inn and Suites $110
Courtyard by Marriott New Orleans Metairie $154
Homewood Suites by Hilton $179