Thank you for your interest in starting a
FIRST LEGO League Explore (Grades 2-4)
FIRST LEGO League Challenge (Grades 4-8) robotics team!
Please see the Grant Requirements and the Timeline below. If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Annette Oertling ,
FIRST Program Delivery co-Partner for Louisiana FIRST LEGO League.
BPX Grant Requirements:
- Team must be hosted by a public school in Caddo Parish.
- There must be 2 adult coaches (mentors) for each team to comply with FIRST Youth Protection Protocols.
- 1 coach per team is expected to attend the online live FIRST Professional Development workshop(s) (14hr total) in September/October time frame.
- BPX has proposed a brief monthly Zoom call to touch base, offer support and keep up with your progress. A team representative is expected to call in.
- FIRST LEGO League Explore Teams are expected to participate in a “Festival” and FIRST LEGO League Challenge teams are expected to participate in a tournament, both hosted by SciPort in December.
- Finances will be managed by FIRST Louisiana-Mississippi, Inc. (FIRST LA-MS), the non-profit organization managing FIRST programs in Louisiana. Purchase of equipment and team registration may be handled by FIRST LA-MS. Receipts are needed for reimbursement of expenses paid directly by teams.
- A follow up report will be requested, which will include team progress, team demographics, and student performance data.
- May – grant applications will be accepted with awards at the end of May and until funding is completely allocated.
- June/July – team registration and equipment/material ordering (robot, engineering notebooks, team meeting guide, etc.)
- August – once school starts, team members should be identified as soon as possible.
- September/October – online live FIRST Professional Development workshop(s) (14hr total)
- December – FIRST LEGO League Challenge Competition and Explore Festival at SciPort – date to be determined.
- January – FIRST LEGO League Challenge State Championship (to which 60 teams advance) and Explore Festival in New Orleans (optional)
- February/March – follow up report requested