Thank you for your interest in starting a
FIRST LEGO League Explore (Grades 2-4)
FIRST LEGO League Challenge (Grades 4-8) robotics team!
Please see the Grant Requirements and the Timeline below. If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Annette Oertling ,
FIRST Program Delivery co-Partner for Louisiana FIRST LEGO League.
BPX Grant Requirements:
- Team must be hosted by a public school in Caddo Parish.
- There must be 2 adult coaches (mentors) for each team to comply with FIRST Youth Protection Protocols.
- 1 coach per team is expected to attend the online live FIRST Professional Development workshop(s) (14hr total) in September/October time frame.
- BPX has proposed a brief monthly Zoom call to touch base, offer support and keep up with your progress. A team representative is expected to call in.
- FIRST LEGO League Explore Teams are expected to participate in a “Festival” and FIRST LEGO League Challenge teams are expected to participate in a tournament, both hosted by SciPort in December.
- Finances will be managed by FIRST Louisiana-Mississippi, Inc. (FIRST LA-MS), the non-profit organization managing FIRST programs in Louisiana. Purchase of equipment and team registration may be handled by FIRST LA-MS. Receipts are needed for reimbursement of expenses paid directly by teams.
- A follow up report will be requested, which will include team progress, team demographics, and student performance data.
- May – grant applications will be accepted with awards at the end of May and until funding is completely allocated.
- June/July – team registration and equipment/material ordering (robot, engineering notebooks, team meeting guide, etc.)
- August – once school starts, team members should be identified as soon as possible.
- September/October – online live FIRST Professional Development workshop(s) (14hr total)
- December – FIRST LEGO League Challenge Competition and Explore Festival at SciPort – date to be determined.
- January – FIRST LEGO League Challenge State Championship (to which 60 teams advance) and Explore Festival in New Orleans (optional)
- February/March – follow up report requested
2022 BPX Grant Application for LA FIRST LEGO League
Welcome to the 2022 Bayou Regional Student Ambassador Program. We would be honored to have a student from your team represented at our 2022 Regional Competition. Students will be escorts to all V.I.P.’s during our event on Friday, April 1 and on Saturday, April 2, 2022.
The deadline to sign up is FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2022. You will need to share the link to a 30-second video sharing why you want to be an ambassador. Please make sure your link is set so that anyone with the link can view the video.
BAYOU REGIONAL VIP STUDENT AMBASSADOR 2022 APPLICATION FORM
The 2022-23 LA State Championship is open to 60 teams who are awarded advancement from a sanctioned LA FIRST LEGO League Challenge Qualifying Tournament.
DATE: Sunday, January 22nd, 2023, 8am-5:30pm
LOCATION: Jesuit High School, 4133 Banks St, New Orleans, LA
REGISTRATION: is now open until Friday, December 30th. Please complete the form below to register your team. ALTERNATES MUST ALSO REGISTER, if they wish to be on the waitlist. The deadline to register is Friday, Dec. 30th. After that date, open spots will be given to alternates on the waitlist.
2022-23 FIRST LEGO League Challenge State Championship Registration
This survey is for nationally registered FIRST LEGO League Challenge teams in Louisiana who are not able to participate in Qualifying Tournaments in December 2021 due to delays in starting back to school following Hurricane Ida. There are several opportunities being proposed, and we would like your feedback on them. This survey will help us gauge interest before moving forward with planning.
LA FIRST LEGO League Challenge State Championship, January 22nd – A limited number of open spots may be available by invitation only to teams that were not able to participate in December qualifiers. (All teams participating in December qualifiers will be invited to advance to the Championship.)
LA FIRST LEGO League Challenge Off-Season Competition – There is potential for an off-season, in-person competition in May or early June.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE SURVEY BELOW BY NOVEMBER 30TH, 2021, TO INDICATE YOUR TEAM’S INTEREST IN PARTICIPATING IN THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP OR AN OFF-SEASON COMPETITION IN MAY OR JUNE.
This survey is only an indication of interest, not a reservation or commitment.
2021 LA FIRST LEGO League Survey
If you believe there has been an error in the scoring of your Robot Game Video, please complete the form below and a referee will get in touch with you.
UPDATED POLICY (1/21/22): Because of FIRST Youth Protection protocols regarding youth privacy and one-on-one digital communication, we ask that only adults use this form to communicate with the referees. We realize that at in-person events, students communicate directly with referees at the end of the match, but for remote events, please have an adult coach submit the communication. And please identify only one point of contact for your team, as multiple people sending in comments from one team creates confusion. We appreciate your understanding.
Teams are required to provide 3 Robot Game Videos by
5pm on Thursday, January 20th.
Please refer to the instructions below provided by FIRST for producing your videos.
To share your videos, please upload them to the platform of your choice and provide links to your videos by completing the online form below.
Any platform where you can post your videos and make them accessible to the referees is good. A shared school Google folder works, but an easy alternative is to upload your videos to YouTube using a designation of RESTRICTED (instructions provided here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtF2AgFSLAw&feature=emb_logo). Making it restricted means that the only way someone can find your video is if they have the link. It is not searchable, so it is not public.
Questions may be addressed to Annette Oertling, co-FLL Partner.
FIRST LEGO League Official Match Video SubmissionFor submission of 3 LA FLL Official Robot Match Videos.
FIRST LEGO League Practice Video SubmissionFor submission of robot game video practice round.